One of life’s most unappreciated meals! As breakfast or a snack it’s the perfect base that can be spiced up/flavoured however you want. There are endless combinations, literally.
My favourite combo is chia seeds, crushed walnuts, hemp seeds, grated coconut, blueberries, raspberries, bee pollen and sometimes a little coconut milk and honey. Check out my example below.
There are so many ways to cook porridge but my favourite (after much experimentation) is the following;
- Mix 1/2 cup of porridge oats with 1 1/2 cups of water and stir well. I know many recipes call for milk but I find I can achieve what I consider perfect consistency with just water.
- Put half a tablespoon of either butter or coconut oil to stop it from sticking to the pot.
- Put heat on medium/high and stir while it is heating. When porridge starts to boil, put in a little salt and stir again, then turn down to low heat and put the lid on the pot.
- Leave porridge for 5-10 minutes and then uncover and stir before serving.
- Then comes the fun part – toppings!
For those less creative or confident I’ve put some examples below of some Instagram accounts where you can get some inspiration!